Thursday 17 May 2012

good news and a warning!

WM and I arrived home around 6pm on Monday – I can’t believe it’s Thursday already. Where did this week go? Oh yes, washing (laundry for my American friends), a full-body massage (on Tuesday), knitting, reading blog posts and making art!

The good news, great news in fact, is that we now have our internet connected to another provider and it is fast enough for me to download your blog posts, even if they are photo-heavy! Even better news for me is that I can now watch the videos from my art course: which, of course, has inspired me to do some art work of my own! Nothing I want to share yet (sorry) but fun none-the-less.

The days have been warm and sunny so I have taken to spending a couple of hours in front of the computer catching up with blogs while the sun shines into my sewing room. Then I take my pencils and art journal outside; I have my lunch out there too.

When the shadows start taking over the backyard I move inside again, this time into the lounge (living) room on the western side of the house where I sit with my Kindle and read for a while before I turn on the television and knit. Ah, retired life: there’s nothing like it!

And now for the warning. I have checked this and this is not a hoax. It is so serious that the Australian government has actually set up a site which will check people’s computers as they log on! To keep it brief, cybercriminals have hacked into millions of computers around the world and infected them so that as of 9 July 2012 they will no longer be able to connect to the internet. These criminals have been found and arrested but there are millions of computer users at risk. You can read more about it at Hoax Slayer (the site I use when I want to check if something is a hoax or not).

Now, I’m sure you’ll want to check if your computer is affected (or infected). Go to this page and it will give you the site for your area; for my fellow Aussies the site is http://dns-ok.gov.au/. It took me less than five seconds to find out my computer doesn’t seem to have been affected.

Please, friends, I don’t do chain emails and I don’t pass on hoax emails. This one is genuine -- check your computer before it’s too late.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you have fast Internet..how exciting! Enjoy! Will check out the warning..so upsetting that so many seek to upset and do harm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new Internet connection. Your frustration level must have dropped immediatetly.

    Thank you for the tip on the computer virus. My computer is healthly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got home safe and sound! The new internet connection is going to reduce your frustration levels! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!