Last week didn't go as I had planned. I wanted to finish all the blocks for my Colonial Houses quilt, ready for quilting.
On Sunday, after we returned from the restaurant where we had eaten lunch to celebrate WM's birthday, he went off to watch a program he taped last week, I went to my studio.
I sorted, I pressed, I cut, I sewed, I pressed and sewed some more. Then the machine began making funny noises. I took off the foot, took out the needle, took off the pressure plate and cleaned the machine. Then I put it back together again.
I started to sew. The light flickered. I stopped. I started again. The light flickered. I stopped again. I started again. The light flickered and went out. The bulb had blown.
I still had the original bulb in my Singer sewing machine when it "gave up the ghost" last year. It was then thirty six years old! They don't make things like they used to! (Yes, I did use the machine - quite a bit in my younger days).
Back to this "new" machine. I figured I could sew without the light - my studio has a great fluorescent light and I could see well enough to do straight seams. But ...
I couldn't get the tension right. On a low tension, the bobbin thread made loops. On a normal (mid) tension, it looked like it had been couched by the top thread. On a higher tension it made wavy lines.
I took out the bobbin and reloaded. Nothing changed. I re-thread the machine. Still not right!
Yesterday the machine went to have the first service in its six year old life (it has hardly been used until these last few months). I had to use a borrowed (ancient Bernina) during class yesterday.
So here I sit - a quilter without a machine. Luckily, due to my unscheduled interruptions and unreached goals last week, I still have some sashing and the backing fabric to cut.
And on Wednesday, my friend and I are off to the Stitches and Craft Fair to test drive machines.
Then on Thursday, she says hopefully, I will drive to the local dealer and purchase the machine of my choice!
I guess I'll just have to knit in the meantime!