Monday 14 April 2014

the last night

Today, three men packed most of our household goods and chattels into about 100 boxes. They did in three and a half hours what would have taken us weeks.

Soon we will go to bed for the last time in the house that has sheltered us for more than 22 years. We saw our daughter grow, start high school, leave school and get married from here. This was where we took shelter after both of our fathers died. Both our grandsons have played in the house and yard, and have swum in the pool, just as their mother did before them. There have been family dinners and barbecues, lots of Christmas and Easter celebrations. We have had many laughs and shed quite a few tears. There has been love and conflict, stress and peace.

What was once a home has become a house, now it’s a shell with boxes inside. (our bedroom, the main bathroom, the garage, the kitchen, the library and the sewing room)

our bedroom the bathroom the garage the kitchen the library the sewing room

The quilting frame and the piano have been sold; the cat has gone, the baby furniture has gone to a charity that works with people escaping domestic violence. Car loads of things have been given away to the local cancer support “op shop” (thrift store). About 30%-40% of our things, no longer our possessions.

My heart aches, for more reasons than I can share on this blog.

But there is also that glimmer of excitement at the prospect of a new home, a new phase of our lives. It’s time to move on, to put our faith in the One who guides our steps and know that He has great plans for our lives. The best, my friends, is yet to come.

12 comments:

  1. Good luck with the rest of the move. Change can be both hard and exciting, good and bad in it's way. Enjoy your new spot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mourning the past is an homage to its beauty and value! But I am so glad you are looking to the future, too, and excited about our Father's leading you into a perfect place to serve Him! Looking forward to a post about your new digs! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could fill this spot with trite sayings that would not help. I understand what you mean, have felt the sadness, and joy....I say hold on to them all but welcome the new place with expectation. I am praying that the move is fun and not too tiring. Looking forward to photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The memories will go with you.... hope your move goes smoothly! Wishing you much health and happiness in your new home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how attached we become to things when they only represent the memories created by them. Wishing you peace and joy in your transition. Hugs, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Professional movers are amazing aren't they! I hope the rest of your move goes just as smoothly. A new adventure is on the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck for the future - as the saying goes 'been there done that' - however each move for each person is different and yours will change the way you think and feel I'm sure.
    Come back soon and tell us how life is progressing
    Take care
    Cathy

    Cathy @ Still Waters


    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the rest of the move goes well :) Looking forward to seeing the results of the unpacking on the other end...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynne,

    I haven't emailed in the slide down to today as I knew you would be very busy and taken up with other matters. However you have been in my thoughts and prayers, even last night when you were quite possibly writing this post.
    Best wishes and as a new chapter opens in your life, you know that you will still have God's care over you and yours, as it has been before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, now I am sorry I have been so rubbish about keeping up with my friends. Moving can be an exciting thing...I hope it moves you closer to those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be a heart ache to leave a house that was your home for many years,
    but I wonder what memories your new home will bring you?
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll be settled in your new home by now Lynne. I hope it is every bit as lovely as you expected it to be.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!