Sunday 15 July 2012

What's on your current reading list?

Just as with my knitting, quilting and sewing projects, I also have more than one "reading project" on the go.

On my iPad I was listening to The Wise Woman by George MacDonald, who was a favourite author of C. S. Lewis. This story was published in the nineteenth century and is described as a 'parable' or 'fairy story'. It was a little hard to get into because MacDonald's language is very descriptive but once the story got underway it was hard to stop!I finished it while doing some embroidery in Friday's beautiful spring-like weather.

I have since downloaded The Amazing Mind of Alice Makin by Alan Shea (read by Zoe-Anne Phillips), which is billed as historical juvenile fiction. Set in post war London, it follows Alice's imaginative life to which she retreats when her home life becomes unbearable.

Also on my iPad, I am reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton.  This was recommended by Renee of "Sewn with Grace" and I am thoroughly enjoying it. It is described as a gothic novel but I'm not sure that's how I would describe it.

All three of these books were borrowed from my local library, as was the audiobook downloaded to my computer: Teacher Man by Frank McCourt (the author of Angela's Ashes). This as an autobiography about how he came through teaching to become a writer. It is a little hard for me to understand because it is being read by the author who has an Irish accent and I have to listen carefully - not ideal when I am using my sewing machine at the same time! Nonetheless, it is an interesting read.

My Kindle has all but been forgotten in the excitement of owning an iPad but there are books there too. I am in the middle of reading the classic Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. It's interesting but not compelling reading; perhaps that's why I left it several weeks ago. There are many other books stored on that device when I get to them.

And, yes, I still read books in print. At the moment I am reading two autobiographies: Mao's Last Dancer, which was loaned to me by a friend in my sewing class and Be Your Best, by Australian swimmer Geoff Huegill, which WM and I bought for DD. She has finished it and kindly loaned it to me.

I have dozens of books on my library wishlist, in my Kindle and on my "to be read" shelf. Oh for a few more hours a day! LOL

The current favourite book in these little guys’ house is The Red Tractor.
2012-06-24 Daniel2012-06-26 Ben
What's on your current reading list?

6 comments:

  1. Great question!!!I'm currently listening to (and enjoying) "The Light Between Oceans" by ML Stedman on my iphone, and have Kate Morton's "The Distant Hours" queued up to listen to next. She is a favourite of mine (try "The Shifting Fog" and "The Forgotten Garden") as is her writer friend, Kimberley Wilkins whose soon-to-be-released novel "Lighthouse Bay" is on my bedside table to read shortly. With a son and DIL in the book industry I sometimes have access to proof copies, and this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Teacher Man" is AMAZING, and I love "Gulliver's Travels." Awesome choices. Right now I'm reading "Prague Winter" by Madeleine Albright - it's a history and personal story about Czechoslovakia during WWII. I just read "The Help," which I enjoyed. Next I'm going to get "Born on a Blue Day," which is supposed to be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently ready The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker...then I will find more books by him and read on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, where do you find the time to read? I'm not much of a reader, maybe that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check out a few of those. I've started a new series on the Nook by Erin Hart about an American pathologist who investigates archological finds as well as more more modern mysteries. I just finished the first book, Haunted Ground and am ready to start Lake of Sorrows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sounds like you have been busy. So much to do and not enough hours to do them all.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!