Thursday 10 May 2012

on and off the needles

Firstly, thank you all for your kind comments and emails regarding my internet fiasco! I really appreciated each and every one of them. Yesterday, I spent over an hour (knitting and) watching a fourteen minute video from my course. I watched two minutes of the second video in half an hour – time to give up when it gets that slow!

I have been knitting and sewing as well as spending a lot of time on the computer. Today the knitted objects have the limelight.

I have continued to knit cowls and mitts for the charities I support.
2012 yet another cowl2012 would you believe another cowl
2012 Diamond Cowl2012 Diamond Cowl detail
I indulged my interest in stranded colour-work to use up some of the left-overs from previous cowls.
2012 Elizabeth Cowl2012 Kensey's Cowl
As winter approaches I appreciate having a roof over my head and a warm bed to sleep in and I really feel for the homeless and less fortunate at this time of year.

I also couldn’t restrain myself from seeing how this yarn knitted up. DD won a ball of novelty yarn, Carmen by Mondial (Italian), at the Knitters’ Guild meeting last month. I didn’t take a photo of the ball but here is a snippet of the yarn – it’s basically variegated blue tape with little dangling yellow pieces every couple of inches. The second picture is the detail of the knitted yarn.
2012 Carmen scarf yarn2012 Carmen scarf detail
DD gave the ball to me because she doesn’t have the patience to knit novelty yarns. The vendor at the meeting claimed that a scarf could be knitted from one ball.2012 Carmen scarf
As you can see, it’s a very small scarf even knitted on needles one size larger than recommended (6.5mm - 10.5 US). This one is approximately 10cm (4”) wide and (90cm) 36” long. Ah well, some young girl will probably like it.

Mothers’ Day is approaching and I found myself wondering about a gift for my mother. I have already knitted a pair of striped socks which she knows about but have added a second pair. I hope she likes them because they are fraternal not identical!
first of mum's socks2012 red, yellow turquoise toe up socks
On Tuesday evening, I foolishly thought I could get another pair finished before Sunday. A cuff-down pair with baby cable rib and a gusset heel (instead of my usual hourglass heel).I am using Cleckheaton Cocoon (70% wool – 30% polyamide). This is the first sock at the time of writing.
2012 mum's baby cable rib socks
Do you think I can get them finished given that WM and I are leaving for northern NSW this afternoon and will be at mum's late morning tomorrow?

6 comments:

  1. wow...you have been productive. I love all those cowls and th scalloped top socks at the end. Need to show my daughter those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice to see your needles have been productive and the results just beautiful. Have a good visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the plainish cowls with garter & stocking mix. Sometimes simple is best
    I'm sure you will get them finished with all that time in the car.
    I can't knit or crochet in the car, too busy looking at everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been a busy knitter! Great socks! Did you get the 2nd one done?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy. I love that green cowl. Wish I could knit.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!