Thursday 12 January 2012

it appears to be working

Thanks for the advice on dealing with the looping issues on the back of my quilting.

This morning, I brought the machine inside, took it apart, and cleaned it once again.

I wound another bobbin using another spool of thread (which has been using successfully on another machine).

I set the machine for straight stitching - feed dogs up, 1/4 foot on, tension dial set to 4 (where it worked yesterday) - and gave it a test run: perfect stitching top and bottom through two layers of homespun.
I lowered the feed dogs and changed to the quilting foot (which had been lightly oiled as per the instructions in the Brother manual).

But I ran into the a problem - holding both thread above the foot put strain on everything! What was I thinking? This must be the cause of all my looping problems! When my former teacher said bring both threads to the top of the fabric, she obviously meant to hold them under the foot! (not on top of it).

So, I let go of those top threads and put them under the foot, then ran the same two layers of homespun through the machine in a straight line, and lo and behold... tiny, perfect stitches top and bottom.

I changed my two layers of home spun for a quilt sandwich and eased the pressure on the presser foot. I proceeded to try and write my name in cursive. Not bad at all  (my FMQ is improving)
- and still no problems with the machine looping on the back.

So it was time for the big test.

WM took the machine back out to the garage and we loaded it back onto the quilting frame. Making sure that the threads were under the foot plate, I began stitching slowly - such big ugly stitches as you've never seen (unless you've tried FMQ or using a quilting frame or machine)! I sped up the foot pedal and my arms and wow! Things worked - no thread snapping.
Yes, I realise the tension is not quite right but I was more interested in seeing of the machine would work after being re-threaded, re-bobbined, etc!

The real test was what was happening underneath - yep, no loops!

Hurrah!

Perhaps tomorrow DD and I can load our first quilt and get on with it! (We'll practice some stitching first to sort out the tension issues, don't worry).

Stay tuned! And thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Yippee! You must be so pleased! I'm really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention learning curve! You are going to be a pro in no time! Enjoy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray! Can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!