Last Wednesday I wrangled this quilt through the sewing machine to complete the sashing on the back.
The quilt is made in a "quilt as you go" method. The blocks were originally made by (someone unknown to us)sewing strings to a calico foundation. DD and I then quilted them onto wool/polyester wadding and a backing made from hand-dyed fabric that had been donated to the quilting group.
The combination of the thicker backing fabric and the extra layer of fabric between the top and the batting made the quilt very stiff and heavy. When I tried to sew the sashing on, I really had to wrangle the quilt. When it hit the back edge of my sewing table, it was so stiff it didn't bend and go down the gap between the table and the wall, it just crashed into wall and sent my stitching way off (It's rarely straight at the best of times).
I finally got the machine work finished. I'm not at all happy with it but it's done. On Thursday I took the quilt to the Caring Hearts Community Quilt group monthly meeting to hand sew the binding down. I made the mistake of stitching every 1/4 inch or so - only to remember (too late) that binding a quilt is not the same as hemming a pair of trousers! Nevermind, more stitches is better than less (I guess).
I finished sewing the binding on Friday night and washed the quilt and put it in the dryer yesterday.
So here, for your viewing pleasure, Wonky Strings completed!