Sunday 17 April 2011

some thoughts on blogging

It's hard to remember that just a few weeks ago, I had not blogged for more than seven months due to working on my mother's family history.

my great-grandparents' wedding register entry 1889
 Some of you may have noticed that I have been posting daily for nearly three weeks. This has been a surprise to me; I never dreamed I would have something to write every day. Daily blogging may not continue forever, I am after all "blogging without obligation" but, for now, it's just how it is.

concept from http://www.tartx.com/blog/?page_id=233
At one point, early last year, I starting a second blog called Quilting Adventures in Knitterland. I transferred three posts from this blog to that blog then abandoned it. I didn't want my life scattered across two blogs!

For a long time, if I had nothing knitterly to write about, I wouldn't post at all. Then I added dyeing to my crafting repertoire and started writing about that.
hand dyed acrylics 2008
When I became interested in patchwork, I started writing about that too; but all the time I had in the back of my mind that this was was a knitting blog and the content had to be mostly about knitting.
our first patchwork purchases 2010
Now that I have returned to blogging, I have a new approach to my blog. Something along the lines of: "It's my blog and I'll write what I want to".

It's given me a new freedom to write about things that catch my fancy - whether they are craft related or not.
crocuses in his autumn garden

Knitting remains, and will remain for the foreseeable future, the primary craft in my life - mostly because it's portable and can be done even when enjoying television or conversation, at home or in public. Therefore knitting will still feature on this blog, but not every day.

Horseshoe Lace stole designed and knitted by me in 2007 from 3ply (light fingering) wool for a dear friend's 80th birthday
And, at the end of my blogging life (whenever that is) - this blog will remain exactly what a blog is: a web-based log of my interests, my family, my home, my life.

playing coy for the camera
Welcome to my world; I hope you find it a little bit interesting.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, that is the right philosophy for blogging-just let it reflect you today-where you are! So nice to have you back! (And sharing the projects is gravy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While blogs with knitting or crocheting initially grab my interest, its the ones that have a little bit of everything else that keep my attention. Write what you like when you like

    Your Stole is absolutely gorgeous - what a wonderful gift

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having a bit of a problem seeing your posts and leaving a comment! So glad to have you back full steam ahead on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your world with it's bit of this bit of that being thrown in. It's sort of like my world :-)
    You have to do what works for you or you won't want to blog and then you'd miss out on recording all of the wonderful things happening in your life. Kudos for "Blogging without obligation" long may it be in effect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. obviously the long break has been great for you! Renewed enthusiasm and just being yourself. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!