Sunday 10 April 2011

Quilting Adventures in Knitterland
workshop at "Aussie Patches"

What fun! (Stop smiling, C.)

We took all the projects I mentioned in the previous post. We learnt a lot but most importantly, we had fun.

First we learnt to make a quilt sandwich.

Then we learnt how to quilt "in the ditch" (or pretty close to it!).

a picture of concentration


More choosing of fabric for the binding.
A much better quality of fabric than we had been using but the binding needs to be strong, doesn't it?

Followed by cutting and stitching and pressing of one side binding.

from left to right: binding, border, strip piecing
Not much in six hours, was it?

Oops, I forgot to mention the cutting of sashing for the other thirty blocks and the task of trying to design a sampler quilt from the blocks we'd created. Elizabeth's design wall was great but we didn't find a satisfactory layout!

The navy sashing is only pinned on -
I decided working out the layout was important to detemine which was the right-hand edge of the blocks; as you can see,
it's just as well I didn't get sewing!
I think I may have found a solution this morning - removing all the yellow blocks; they scream too much, don't they?
The yellow blocks can go on the back.
At home, after dinner, we finished the other three bindings, gave it a final press and tied off all the ends of our stitching on the wrong side. (I think I might like my new sewing machine - which I haven't bought yet - to cut all the threads and lock them down for me).

So, the floor mat that we started back in March 2010 is quilted and bound; except for the part where I have to sew down the binding - by hand. That will be done today.


We also put the flannelette backing on the change mat
  and quilted "in the ditch".

 Not a bad day's work, I'd say.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a very succesful day!

    I agree about the yellow blocks in the big quilt - did you try them in each corner? Not sure if that would work either, but it would spread out the "splash" of colour at least. Otherwise, using them on the back is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to do a workshop like this. I'm totally self taught so far - with a bit of help from my mum by phone! - a workshop would speed things up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a good time! The yellow blocks do pop-certainly try the layout without them and see what you think. Glad you got the time together, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!