Sunday, 27 June 2010

blocked now awaiting borders

I knitted a blanket (afghan) in chained diagonal squares. I bought the yarn unlabelled in Wangaratta in 2008 and believed it to be acrylic; after all I only paid $20.00 a kilo for it. While seaming I realised it must have some natural fibre content (probably wool, though possibly mohair) because it kept falling apart as I tried to stitch with it. It's a boucle yarn which means there's an over-spun yarn (probably acrylic) wrapped around an under-spun yarn (natural fibre?). This is fine while knitting or sewing in ends that are attached but means the yarn disintegrates when cut for sewing.

Anyway, after sewing the chains of diagonal squares together the whole thing looked lumpy and I was disappointed as there is a deadline on the finished blanket and the yarn, like mohair, is very difficult to rip. Working on the basis that there must be some natural fibre (almost certainly mohair) involved, I decided to block it - what harm could it do? If it were 100% acrylic it would dry quickly and then shrink back to its original size (and lumpiness). If there were, by chance, natural fibres involved, it should block easily. Judge for yourself: natural fibres?

A wonderful thing about the magic of blocking (apart from getting rid of the awful lumpiness) is that it has grown considerably meaning that it only needs borders along the length to make it a little wider. I’m glad I had trouble with the two knitted on borders I made and went to the trouble of ripping them off – the new borders will be much more narrow!

I did have some help with pin removal – Tom was involved in a cat fight last night: through the window! He scrabbled around on the blanket and several pins were removed in the process (Please note: no animal was harmed in the making of this blanket!)

Now to remove the pins and see what happens…

I lost a little over an inch (3cm) from the width and slightly less from the length; I’m happy with that. What I thought would be 31.5 inches by 63 inches has turned into 33 inches by 70 inches. The side borders will therefore need to be 3 ½ inches wide.

Yay for the magic of blocking!


  1. Wow Lynne that looks amazing!!! Great colour combo.
    Knitting wise I'm feeling better however I cut my thumb this morning with a really sharp kife so it's a little hard going on the thumb.

  2. Hmmm, you still are being allured by a quilt because now you are knitting one! This turned out beautifully!

  3. Blocking magic truly is wonderful, and so is that blanket!

  4. Very nice! The boucle would make it so snuggly. Perfect blanket yarn (and blanket weather, while we're at it).


Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!