Friday 16 February 2007

Still knitting - still finishing!

After a southerly change last weekend, the weather has cooled slightly but the temperature is slowly increasing again. The humidity - yuk! We had some much needed rain on Monday; so much that my class was cancelled because the women wouldn't be able to move between the classroom and the creche! It was the most torrential rain I have seen in many months. Come to think of it, it is one of the rare occasions of any rain I have seen in months!

The cancelled class gave me some "free" time which I used on my Patches Wrap for February is for Finishing. So far I have sewn in over 1600 ends - 100 for every day of February plus some extras because of my 'free' time! This picture shows just a small part of the wrap/afghan, multiply by 100 and you get the idea! To give you some idea of scale, the picture shows a section about 6 inches x 4.5 inches.

On the knitting front, I have been working on Diamond Wrap #2 and Small Diamond Wrap. Diamond Wrap #2 is about 70% finished and so is becoming very heavy and too hot to sit under in the hottest month of the year. Small Diamond Wrap is made up of 5 inch squares knit on the diagonal - much easier to manage in the heat and humidity. So far I have succeeded in sewing groups of four squares together as I finish them rather than have 112 squares to sew together at the end! Happily, I can report that I have now have 20 squares sewn together.

I have also been listening to podcasts. I particularly enjoy Australian knitter David Reidy of Sticks and Strings; in the past few weeks I have listened to all his podcasts. David attends meetings of the knitting group to which I belong - the Blue Mountains Group of the Knitters Guild NSW. I am slowly working my way through the archives of American knitter living in Wales, Brenda Dayne of Cast-On. In Episode #44 she mentioned the KAL I joined at the beginning of the year - Stashalong.

Speaking of Stashalong, so far I have managed to buy only yarn that I need to complete current projects. I went to my local department store on Monday, and found that 100g acrylic had gone up from $2.98 a skein to $3.12; it seemed like a big increase but it's less than 5% so I guess we can't really complain! Still, I'm glad I've decided to stop knitting with acrylic. My hands feel so dry and rough. It's funny, the variegated yarns always seem softer than the plain colours - I wonder why?

I need to get all my current WIPs (see sidebar) finished before 17 March because my lys is attending the Blue Mountains Knitters' Group meeting that day and will be bringing yarn for a "one skein challenge". I won't be able to participate if I can't buy yarn and I can't buy yarn if all my projects are not finished (self imposed rules).

So I guess I'd better stop blogging and knit/finish! :-)

PS Does anyone know if any hospitals in Sydney are taking donations for Chemo Caps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!