Monday 29 October 2012

it’s that time of year

It’s just eight weeks from tomorrow!

I know it’s getting close because of what's coming off my sewing machine:

First I made this apron (on behalf of DD) for a “Secret Santa Swap” at Caring Hearts Community Quilters. DD was given the panel (called “A Christmas Gathering”) but there’s no way she has time to sit at the sewing machine with two very active under-threes! I’m sorry some of it is missing but this is as much as WM took! I love this so much I’d like to keep it for myself! So would DD (who was conveniently wearing a red tee-shirt when modelling)!
2012 Christmas apron
 Secondly, this book which I started last year and never finished -- a gift for the Grandsons who both love books. Older Grandson will love identifying the animals and Younger Grandson needs cloth books because he still puts everything in his mouth and his teeth damage cardboard books!
2012 Sam's Photo Safari cloth book
 This has nothing to do with Christmas but I am so glad to finally have it finished!

First the inside view with its two generous pockets. My teacher, Kerry, and I designed this bag as we went along.
2012 garden embroidery tote inside
It had to fit this panel (designed by Kerry, embroidered by me) and will be used to carry my sewing/embroidery supplies.
2012 garden embroidery tote outside
It may look small the way I’m holding it but in fact it is 38cm (15 inches) wide, 35.5cm (14 inches) tall and 18cm (7 inches) deep.

It is actually a very deep purple colour as shown on the sunlit (right) side of the bag, not the royal blue shown on your left!

Goodbye to the green eco-bag from the local supermarket that used to carry my sewing supplies!

What about you -- are you crafting gifts for Christmas?

10 comments:

  1. You've been busy too. I've got some of those Christmas panels - seemed a good idea at the time - but haven't done anything with them yet. The apron's a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see the finished projects! I haven't started any sewing projects for Christmas but I have started knitting ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Finally getting to see the book - woohoo! - and the bag is so cute! Now I need to go make myself one of those... I have a little pouch for travel sewing but it's just not big enough for more than hexagons. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOHHH!!! Your bag is just lovely! The design and the front panel are just perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to make a few. I think my nieces would love a knit cowl scarf. I've seen several on Pinterest. Last night I made a wash cloth for my son #3. And I am contemplating creating a machine embroidery design for son #1's college and major...maybe that way his towels wouldn't walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love the apron and really want my own one. Just wish I had somewhere to set up my ancient machine :-)
    The bag will be very handy

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you have just given me a great idea! My mum gave me a piece of embroidery like the one on your bag - she thought I might like to find something to do with it and I was never sure. It needs to be the front of a bag! Hooray! Thanks for the inspriation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lynne,
    I love your projects, especially your bag.
    I know it's getting close to Christmas, I can't
    believe it. I have started making Christmas things,
    I got in early this year.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many pretty projects are coming off your machine. Your bag is just beautiful and I am sure the gifts will be well used. I'm sure it feels great to have a head start on the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on getting a leg up on the Christmas gift making. I'm not going to make much this year. Love your bag, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!