Sunday 8 May 2011

Happy Mothers Day

Today we had lunch at the Concordia (German) Club in Tempe. It is the first time my mother has seen my brother on Mothers' Day in more than twenty-five years. The last time they spent Mothers' Day together was probably 1985, the year before my parents retired to their place in the country.

Because Mothers' Day occurs early in the second term of the NSW school year, it has been many years since I spent Mothers' Day with my mum too - it was just not feasible to drive 1100km (700 miles) in a weekend - it would mean driving most of Saturday, having breakfast with mum, then driving home again!

So, today there were four generations together for lunch - mum, two of her three children, her son-in-law and daughter-in-law, two of her five grandchiildren (DD, the eldest, aged 25, and Little Miss, the youngest, aged 14 months), her only grandson-in-law, and her only great-grandchild, GS#1. Of course GB#2 was also there but being only 31 weeks in utero, we somehow didn't count him/her.







GS#1, DD, mum, DB, SIL (missing DSIL, Little Miss, WM and myself)

The Concordia Club - formerly the Tempe Bowling Club - is a great venue for families. The former bowling greens provide a fantastic playing space for the children - younger ones closely supervised, older ones within parents sight but feeling the freedom of such a venue.








GS#1, DSIL, Little Miss and WM's legs on one of the bowling greens

I gave my mum a pair of sheepskin slippers - her house gets very cold so they should keep her feet snuggly warm. We shopped for them together on Friday so she has had them for a couple of days but has not worn them because it wasn't Mothers' Day yet!

From DD I received a single long-stemmed red rose: the symbol of love.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a very special day! Looks like a wonderful way to spend the time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how lovely to all be together!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thanks for dropping in. I look forward to reading your comment.
I like to answer comments; if you are "no-reply blogger" I will try my best to get back to you on your blog! I'm not on FaceBook so I can't contact you there!