PART 1: THE FIRST ATTEMPT
DD and I tried to put the three layers of our floor quilt together almost as soon as we had sewn on the borders and taken photos.
When we attended the workshop in early April, the teacher suggested we stretch out the backing and pin it to the carpet. This worked really well; even if WM did wander through and say: "Are you sticking pins in to carpet?" At least we could say "the teacher told us to!" LOL
All was going fine till we started pinning the three layers together - we kept pinning to the carpet! We tried to solve that by sliding a ruler (24" x 6") under the layers and moving it as needed but of course the quilt was no longer flat.
We had decided that it was time to start all over again using my cutting/blocking boards underneath when GS#1 woke up (he'd been asleep less than forty minutes). We had to get the whole lot off the floor; we were working in the living room in an open plan house: pins and fourteen month old toddlers don't mix!
PART 2: SUCCESS
This time we used the boards we usually use for blocking our knitting. They are sold as 'cutting boards' but I can't remember the last time I used my original one for that purpose.
WM assisted by bending 150 straight pins into curved pins for us. We didn't need anywhere near that many but once he was on a roll, he just kept going until he had done three-quarters of the pins I had bought.
An hour and a half later we had successfully made our quilting sandwich. We rolled it and that is exactly how it has remained; but that's another story.
No pictures, sorry - you've seen the top and the back, except for the wadding there is nothing new to see.